Christine Reeves Strigaro
Christine Reeves Strigaro is the Executive Director of The Sapelo Foundation, a private family foundation with a mission to: “promote progressive social change affecting vulnerable populations, rural communities, and the natural environment in the state of Georgia.”
Christine is dedicated to the transformation, strength, and vibrancy of vulnerable communities and the protection their environments. In doing so, the laboratory of philanthropy has become her medium. She aligns all philanthropic resources to foster partnerships, spark ideas, share stories from new perspectives, discover solutions, address root causes of problems, and identify those who are most affected by problems as protagonists, not recipients. With equal conviction, she believes philanthropy is a dynamic team sport that champions grantee leaders and other stakeholders.
Previously, Christine served as Director of Foundation Programs at Alliance for Justice and as Senior Field Associate at the National Committee for Responsive Philanthropy. Currently, she serves as a Board Member for Emerging Practitioners in Philanthropy and Alliance for Nonprofit Management. Christine graduated Phi Beta Kappa and magna cum laude from Emory University in Atlanta, GA. She received her master’s degree from Duke University’s Terry Sanford School of Public Policy in Durham, NC.
Office Manager & Program Officer
Barbara S. Bowdry
The Sapelo Foundation grew out of Richard J. Reynolds, Jr.’s interest in Sapelo Island, one of the many barrier islands along the Georgia coast. This coastal region, rich in culture, history and natural resources, captured the interest and imagination of the young tobacco heir upon his first visit in the early 1930’s. Over his lifetime, Mr. Reynolds developed a deep appreciation for the beauty, history and culture of Sapelo Island. He was especially intrigued by the vast salt marsh ecosystem separating Sapelo from the mainland. In 1953, he created the Sapelo Island Marine Institute as a research affiliate of the University of Georgia. The Sapelo Foundation served as the vehicle for the development and operation of the institute until 1976 when the University of Georgia took charge and the foundation turned towards funding charitable activities.