Information & Requirements
Grant Size and Restrictions
- Grants range from $1,000 to $60,000.
- The average award is between $5,000 and $25,000.
- The Foundation will not fund 100% of any organization or project.
Interim and Discretionary Grants
- There are no interim or discretionary grants with the exception of the Organizational
Development Fund offered to current Foundation grantees.
- Only applications from nonprofit, tax-exempt, charitable organizations or educational
organizations and institutions, which are exempt under section 501(c) (3) of the Internal
Revenue Service Code, are accepted.
- Deadlines for submission of applications are before midnight, Eastern Time, on September 1 and March 1.
- Incomplete or late applications will not be accepted.
- Applications are not accepted by mail, facsimile (fax) transmission, or e-mail.
Preparation and Review Process
- Foundation staff is available to answer questions concerning application requirements and
funding priorities, however, the final decision on funding applications lies with the Board
of Trustees of the Foundation.
- During the review process additional written information and an interview and/or site visit with the applicant may be requested at the discretion of the Foundation.
- The Sapelo Foundation cannot accept the responsibility for keeping grant requests
confidential and reserves the right to discuss applications with outside consultants to
assist in fair evaluations.
- Grant award decisions are made at the meeting of the Board of Trustees each
Spring and Fall.
- Prospective grantees are notified of the decision within two weeks of those meetings.
- Grant recipients are mailed a Grant Agreement and other documents that must be signed by an official
representative of the organization.
- Grant awards are issued after the Foundation receives the signed Grant Agreement and other documents.
- Please note “Grant Reporting” tab above for important details about the Foundation’s online portal for Grant Reports.
- Grantee partners for the spring grant cycle (application deadline of Mar. 1), must submit their Grant Report by Feb. 1 of the following year. Please note, these dates may change some years, but the website will be up-to-date.
- Grantee partners for the fall grant cycle (application deadline Sept. 1) must submit their Grant Report by Aug. 1 of the following year. Please note, these dates may change some years, but the website will be up-to-date.
- For consideration, all Grant Reports must be submitted via the online portal (not mail or email).
The Foundation ranks applications based on their compliance with its adopted funding priorities. Grants are awarded based on funds available at the time, the ranking status of the applications and other considerations.