Information & Requirements
In June 2020, with a new strategic plan, the Foundation will launch an open grantmaking process. This will include two phases and two seasonal grant portfolios: (1) Environmental Justice & Protection (spring awards) and (2) Social Justice (fall awards). Starting in 2021, new grants will be awarded. In 2020, the Foundation will have a transition year, with invitation-only grants. Soon, more information will be available on the website, as updates are made to reflect the new strategic plan.
Grant Size and Restrictions
- The average grant is approximately $25,000.
- The Foundation will not fund 100% of any organization or project.
- Grantee partners may only receive 1 grant per year. There are no interim or discretionary grants, with the exception of the Organizational Development Fund, offered on a monthly basis to current or recent grantee partners until it reaches its annual limit.
- Only grant applications from nonprofit, tax-exempt, charitable organizations or educational organizations and institutions, which are exempt under section 501(c) (3) of the Internal Revenue Service Code, are accepted.
- Foundation staff is accessible at any time and always interested in engaging with grantee partners. In addition, Foundation staff dedicates the last week of January (Spring Grant Cycle) and last week of July (Fall Grant Cycle) as “Conversation Weeks.” Grantee partners or potential grantee partners that meet grant criteria for the year are encouraged to contact the Foundation staff to set up calls, in order to share updates, discuss questions, provide anecdotal context, and help put their best foot forward in their Grant Applications and Progress Reports. Please note that these dates may vary slightly depending on schedules any given year and that these conversations are highly encouraged, but not mandatory. For 2020, conversation week is open to grantee partners who’ve been invited to apply for the spring or fall grant cycle.
Grant Application Deadlines
- Deadlines for submission of grant applications are before midnight, Eastern Time, on February 15 (Spring Grant Cycle) and August 15 (Fall Grant Cycle).
- Grant applications will be made available at least 1 month before the deadline.
- Incomplete or late grant applications will not be accepted.
- Applications are only accepted through the online portal. They are not accepted by mail, facsimile (fax) transmission, or e-mail.
Process and Notification
- Foundation staff is available to answer questions concerning application requirements and funding priorities, however, the final decision on funding applications lies with the Board of Trustees of the Foundation.
- During the review process, additional written information and an interview and/or site visit with the grant applicant may be requested at the discretion of the Foundation.
- The Foundation cannot accept the responsibility for keeping grant requests confidential and reserves the right to discuss applications with outside consultants to assist in fair evaluations.
- Grant award decisions are made at the meeting of the Board of Trustees each Spring and Fall.
- Grant recipients are sent a Grant Agreement and other documents that must be signed by an official representative of the organization.
- Grant awards are issued after the Foundation receives the signed Grant Agreement and other documents.
Grant Report Deadlines
- After receiving a grant, the Foundation requires a Progress Report by February 1 (Spring Grant Cycle) or August 1 (Fall Grant Cycle) of the following year.
- Progress Reports will be made available at least 1 month before the deadline.
- For consideration, all Progress Reports must be submitted via the online portal (not mail or email). Please note the “Grant Reporting” tab above for important details about the Foundation’s online portal for Progress Reports.
- Grantee partners who do not submit Progress Reports on time and through the online portal are not eligible for future funding.
- Upon review of Progress Reports, in rare cases, the Foundation may request a Final Report (1-page addendum) from some grantee partners, in which case the deadlines are June 1 (Spring Grant Cycle) or December 1 (Fall Grant Cycle). If a grantee partner does not receive a request for a Final Report, no Final Report is required.
Grants are awarded based on funds available at the time, the ranking status of the applications based on funding priorities and criteria, and other considerations.