Information & Requirements
Please note, for the Fall 2017 grant cycle, The Sapelo Foundation will not be accepting new grant applications. We will only be accepting grant applications from organizations that received a grant in 2016 and seek to reapply.
Grant Size and Restrictions
- Grants range from $1,000 to $60,000.
- The average award is between $15,000 and $25,000.
- The Foundation will not fund 100% of any organization or project.
Interim and Discretionary Grants
- There are no interim or discretionary grants with the exception of the Organizational Development Fund offered to current Foundation grantees.
- Only applications from nonprofit, tax-exempt, charitable organizations or educational organizations and institutions, which are exempt under section 501(c) (3) of the Internal Revenue Service Code, are accepted.
- Deadlines for submission of applications are before midnight, Eastern Time, on February 15 (Spring Grant Cycle) and August 15 (Fall Grant Cycle). Grant Applications will be made available at least 1 month before the deadline.
- Incomplete or late applications will not be accepted.
- Applications are not accepted by mail, facsimile (fax) transmission, or e-mail.
Preparation and Review Process
- Foundation staff is available to answer questions concerning application requirements and funding priorities, however, the final decision on funding applications lies with the Board of Trustees of the Foundation.
- During the review process, additional written information and an interview and/or site visit with the applicant may be requested at the discretion of the Foundation.
- The Sapelo Foundation cannot accept the responsibility for keeping grant requests confidential and reserves the right to discuss applications with outside consultants to assist in fair evaluations.
- Grant award decisions are made at the meeting of the Board of Trustees each Spring and Fall.
- Grant recipients are sent a Grant Agreement and other documents that must be signed by an official representative of the organization.
- Grant awards are issued after the Foundation receives the signed Grant Agreement and other documents.
Grant Report Deadlines
- After receiving a grant, The Sapelo Foundation requires a Progress Report by February 1 (Spring Grant Cycle) or August 1 (Fall Grant Cycle) of the following year. Progress Reports will be made available at least 1 month before the deadline.
- Upon review of the Progress Reports, The Sapelo Foundation may request a Final Report from some grantee partners, in which case the deadlines are June 1 (Spring Grant Cycle) or December 1 (Fall Grant Cycle). If a grantee partner does not receive a request for a Final Report, no Final Report is required.
- For consideration, all Grant Reports must be submitted via the online portal (not mail or email). Please note “Grant Reporting” tab above for important details about the Foundation’s online portal for Grant Reports.
The Foundation ranks applications based on their compliance with its adopted funding priorities. Grants are awarded based on funds available at the time, the ranking status of the applications and other considerations.